Church of San Salvador
The chuch of San Salvador is on a very central part of the city, the Sestiere of Saint Mark few steps form the Rialto Bridge and the Accademia.
His history and the one of its community are quite ancient and are dates to the VII Century, during the XII century in this place only a Romanic church was existing as well a monastery.
Those building were demolished and rebuilt during the XVI century, starting from 1506 the prior Antonio Contarini begun the rebuilding not only for the church but for the whole surrounding, the project was by Giorgio Spavento and the successive works had the supervision of Pietro Lombardo at first and then by Jacopo Sansovino. The building and the interiors ended around 1534 while the façade ended in 1663 and the works made by Giuseppe Sardi. Different story for the bell tower, it is from XIV century and ended only during 800.
San Salvador is the diminished name of Santo Salvatore Gesù Cristo whom the church is dedicated.
Inside the building the are lots of painting operas and sculpture dedicate to him, the most representative operas are the annunciation by Titian, the transfiguration of Jesus Christ as well by Titian, the Cena in Emmaus (probably by Carpaccio, however the author is still unknown).
Many are the paintings dedicated to saints, San Teodoro, San Giacomo, San Leonardo. many are the monuments and statue dedicated to famous citizen, Caterina Cornaro, queen of Cyprus amongst them.