San Simeone Grande Church
To be precise the Church is entitled to San Simeon Profeta, San Simeon Grande is a popular nickname it is situated on the sestiere of Santa Croce and it has been founded in 967 by Ghisi, Adoldi e Briosi.
In the beginning it was a wooden building, very modest, destroyed by fire it was rebuilt in stone in 1150, on that period it becames parish church.
During the Napoleonic domination it was closed and becomes a branch of San Simeon Piccolo, that to be precise it was bigger.
The building consist in three nave separated by columns covered with precious red tissue. The interiors were revamped several times. One of the late works was the reconstruction of the pavement for sanitary motivations, however it is not clear why it was redone. Under the new pavement there still is the old one, rich of seals.
Inside are preserved operas by Tintoretto (one of his last supper) and Jacopo Palma il Giovane. Very nice it is also the stone monument from XIV century dedicate to San Simeon (probably by Pisa school).