Santa Maria dei Carmini Church
The Church of Santa Maria dei Carmini its in the sestriere di Dorsoduro in Venice, it faces the homonymous square, few steps from Santa Margherita square.
Its building began in 1286 and was consecrated in 1348, the façade (renaissance style) is recent, it was rebuilt during the 1500 in marble and bricks, it is decorated with some interesting lunette by Giovanni Buora, there are also some statue of Elia and Eliseo, it is say that they were the founder of the Carmelitani order.
Also some parts of the church interior are date 1500 in particular the presbytery and the lateral Chapel, built around 1506 and 1514 by Sebastiano Mariani.
On the left side there is a beautiful gothic portal (300) and the bell tower by Giuseppe Sardi, surmounted by a statue of Madonna del Carmine, this is a recent operas by Romano Vio (1982)
A previous one was destroyed by a thunderbolt.
Inside, on the opposite façade a magnificent funerary monument can be admired dedicated to Jacopo Foscarini, admiral of the Venetian fleet, he lived in the house in front of the church.
The monument is by Francesco Contin.
Many other operas are present inside the church, to be mentioned the “ adoration of the sheperds” by Gianbattisat Cima da Conegliano, a picture painted around 1509 and 1511. the “ Madonna del Carmelo” with the Saints” (1595) by Pesce and Fontana, two statue of the Virgin and the humility.
By Corradini and Torritti, the miracle of the Mother Mary (1724), a representation made in wood carwed by Francesco Bernardoni. Many other artists has their operas inside the building: Pietro Bianchibni, Abbondio Stazio, Francesco Giorgio Martini, Jacopo Pala mil Giovane and many others.
The most important opera is by Jacopo Tintoretto: presentation of Jesus at the Temple (1541-1542)
The Church can be visited from Monday to Saturday from 14.30 to 17.30