Ca’ Rezzonico is one of the few palaces on the Canal Grande opened to visitors. Since 1934 it is the site of the XVIII century museum. Its rooms are decorated with paintings and frescos took from other palaces of the City.
The building of the palace begun in 1667 under the supervision of family Bon, (the architect was Baldassare Longhena, well known for having projected the Church of La Salute, probably the most beloved by the citizens). Unfortunately the works had to stop because of the terrible financial collapse of the Bon family. The palace was then bought by the family Rezzonico (Merchant and Bankers from Genoa) in 1712. It cost them a fortune to complete and decorate the palace.
The ballroom by Giorgio Massari is the most famous room of the palace. It has been restored and enriched with lamps, sculptures (by Andrea Brustolon), frescoes and trompe d’ oeil on the ceiling. Not to be forgotten the frescos by Gian Battista Tiepolo (amongst whose stands out the one in the Allegory hall) which adorn the ceilings of three rooms.
On the second floor, the noble floor, there is an amazing room dedicate to Pietro Longhi’s paintings (which portrays the daily Venetian life). It's necessary to mention also Francesco Guardi’s works and one of the few works still present in Venice by Canaletto: the “Rio dei Mendicanti “ (1725).
These are just a few of the wonders contained inside this beautiful palace that really deserves a visit during your vacation.