Accademia Gallery Museum
The Accademia Museum is part of a complex including the church of Santa Maria della Carità, the homonymous Scuola Grande (the original entrance is now the main access to the museum) and the Monastery of the Canonici Lateranensi (the complex was in use until the beginning of the XIX century).
The gallery take its name from the Accademia delle Belle Arti (Art Accademy) who opened the building and shared the sites until few years ago (2004).
The operas preserved inside the Gallery are many and of inestimable value. Most of the painting comes from a period between the XIV and the XVIII century, tThe most important authors are Carpaccio, Bellini, Tintoretto, Tiziano. Also many sculptures and drawing can be admired, amongst them the vitruvian man by Leonardo da Vinci, exposed only few periods.
Initially the museum was operating as didactic and restoration of art operas centre.
It had a key role for the artistic life of the city only after the fall of the Serenissima in 1797, the foundation saved many and many operas from the sack of churches and palaces, without them all those could have scattered and lost around the world.