Church of San Nicola da Tolentino
It is friendly called Church of Tolentini, it’ s on the Santa Croce Sestiere facing the homonymous square, few steps from Piazzale Roma and the Papadopoli Gardens.
A project by Andrea Scamozzi between 1591 and 1602 annexed to the church is the monastery, now site of the Architecture university of Ca’ Foscari.
The building was bombed in 1849, the dome was cannoned and the ball who destroyed the dome is now engraved on the façade.
This building, together with others is a little treasure, unfortunately it is not so noticeable because it is lucky/unlucky to be in Venice, a city so rich of treasures that anything else is unnoticeable.
The interiors are finely decorated, any visitor would be astonished, Operas by Jacopo Palma il Giovane and Padovanino embellished the nave, the corpse of Doge Francesco Morosini is buried there.